For Agents & Brokers
Ways to make your connected devices safer
Don't make smart tech a "gift" for cybercriminals
How safe are the connected devices you gave or received as gifts during the holidays? Those smartphones, tablets, home hubs, speakers, smart home devices, and other electronics could be the target of cyber thieves.
Vulnerable devices are everywhere
Consumers often don’t realize how connected home and personal technology can open them up to new risks. And too many don't take even simple precautions to protect their Internet-connected devices.
Do you own one of these?
Some common risks in a typical home include:
- Smart home hubs and speakers that allow homeowners to use voice commands to control lighting, heating and cooling, play music, and order products. They are also access points for hackers and cyber thieves.
- Fitness trackers help users get in shape, but they collect personal data that must be secured.
- Smart home devices like Internet-connected thermostats, light switches, and even garage doors are convenient, but often they are not designed with security in mind.
- Tablets and smartphones store an immense amount of data that owners likely want to keep private — including geolocation, search queries and passwords.
Small businesses face similar exposures
Many of these cyber risks also apply to smaller businesses, which use smartphones, tablets and connected devices and systems in their facilities.
Cybersecurity to-do list
Homeowners or business owners can take basic steps to increase cybersecurity. Use encryption, strong passwords and other measures to secure networks. Set up two-factor authentication for online accounts. Lock smartphones and tablets with a passcode.
Click here for a downloadable pdf of HSB's list of tips for homeowners.
Click here for a pdf of our security tips relating to a small business.
HSB offers cyber insurance coverage
It's also important to protect your home or business with cyber insurance coverage. HSB offers cyber coverages for homes and business through agents and brokers.
- HSB Total Cyber™ insurance combines seven separate areas of cyber coverage that can be configured into a customized program for your commercial customers.
- HSB Identity Recovery for Employees provides identity theft insurance and related services.
- You can bundle HSB Identity Recovery and and HSB Data Compromise with our HSB TechAdvantage™ equipment breakdown insurance.
- HSB also offers cyber insurance for consumers through our insurance company partners. HSB Home Cyber Protection™ offers a suite of cyber coverages and services for consumers. Ask the carriers you represent if they offer HSB Home Cyber Protection™ with their homeowners or renters policies.